Delve into the world of Japan’s national drink with WSET ‘s newest certification: the WSET Level 3 Award in Sake. Vinoscenti is proud to again, be on the cutting edge with our diverse class offerings, as the first WSET provider in Western Canada to offer this exciting new course.
Students will learn in-depth about sake production methods and how these impact a particular sake’s style, quality and its price. The course provides thorough comprehension of the various grades and specialty styles of sake. This is further augmented through the many tastings students will experience. Students will gain confidence in assessing sake using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting with the 40+ sakes to be studied—many of which are not readily available in Canada.
There is no prior knowledge required to take this advanced level course, however students will need to complete a monitored online study program that starts two weeks before attending class. It is important to allow 5-10 hours to review the information online which includes basics from sake categories, to how sake is made, as well as learning kanji characters related to sake. There are tests at the end of each component to reinforce learning.
For our inaugural class, we will be offering a compressed 3-day intensive course with a visit to a local sake brewery, YK3 Sake, to see how sake is made, and meet Yoshiaki Kasugai, master sake brewer. It is extremely important to take time to study the online component and study materials, which will be provided to students two weeks before class commences. Testing will occur a few days later with short review just before the exam.
- Identify the main ingredients and production techniques that are involved in the production of sake
- Explain how ingredients influence the style and quality of the sakes that are produced
- Identify and describe the characteristics of the principal and speciality categories of sake
- Explain how ingredients, production techniques and commercial factors influence the style, quality and price of these sakes
- Demonstrate an understanding of the sake trade organisations in Japan and the commercial importance of sake in the Japanese and export markets
- Demonstrate an understanding of the processes and principles involved in the storage, selection and service of sake
- Describe the key characteristics and assess the quality level and production methods used for the principal categories and styles of sake.
$519.75 + GST
The tuition fee includes:
- Course materials
- Sakes for in-class tasting
- Instruction fees
- Examination fees
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate
NOTE: Students must bring their own set of six (6) 7.25/7.5 oz. ISO tasting glasses (also known as viticole glasses) to use during class. These can be purchased directly from us for $45 +Applicable Taxes or from any glassware retailer.
- WSET Level 3 in Sake
- Chinese class
Candidates will be required to pass a closed-book examination, comprising two units.
Unit One: A written examination of two parts:
- 50 multiple-choice questions
- 3 short written answer questions
Unit Two: Blind tasting of 2 sakes.
Unit One: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Unit Two: 30 Minutes
In order to be awarded the WSET® Level 3 Award in Sake, candidates must achieve a passing grade of 55% in both units of the examination.
About The Instructors
Elise Gee and Marcus Pakiser are certified WSET sake instructors. Elise is the first female in Canada to receive several sake certifications: WSET Level 3 Award in Sake, Advanced Sake Professions (ASP) and Certified Sake Professional (CSP) from the Sake Education Council. Marcus has the same qualifications and was recently awarded the prestigious title of Sake Samurai by the Japan Sake & Shochu Makers Association, for his tireless work in over 20 years of sake education, sales and promotion. The award is the highest recognition one can receive in the sake world.
REGISTER ONLINE TODAY
Spaces are limited. Book your seat today.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- About Us
- Aficionado Program
- Aficionado Program Registration
- Bordeaux Wine Tour
- Class 1
- Event Calendar
- Groupon Redemption
- Hungary Wine Tour
- Italy Wine Tour
- Program Registration
- Seminar Registration Page
- South Africa Wine Tour
- Whisky Ambassador
- Wine Courses
- WSET Level 1 in Wines
- WSET Level 1 in Wines
- WSET Level 2 in Wines & Spirits
- WSET Level 3 in Sake
- WSET Level 3 in Wines
- Policy & Disclaimer
- Vinoscenti Sommelier Certification
- The Iberian Specialist Certification
- Sherry Program
- Sparkling Wine Program
- Senses and Aroma Program